[FAM] & [GFA] the Familia fleets in SP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Musical laments

3 posters

Go down

Musical laments Empty Musical laments

Post  merc inc Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:54 pm

I don’t know how things are in your neck of the woods, but the musical selection on the radio here in the Chicago area is a bit limited. I get frustrated being in what was once a major city for the blues and having a choice of one station that might play an occasional blues song or hunting through the collage stations (who’s transmitters I swear are powered by a 9 volt battery with a range of three blocks) only to have the format change as the semester changes. Same for rock, I mostly listen to a station that has the same set list they played since the mid ‘80s or my favorite station that fades out half way on my drive from work. So I thought I’d see what some of you folks are listing to and try to expand my artist selections.

For the blues I go for Stevie Ray Vaughan, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Popa Chubby, Tony Sarno , Joe Bonamassa , Jonny Lang from his first three albums before he started doing gospel/ contempory music. Along with the old standards of Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters, Etta James and Willie Dixon.

Some of the artistis under rock would be Five Finger Death Punch, MUDVAYNE, Godsmack, AC/DC, Fear Factory, Reverend Horton Heat, Offspring, ZZ Top, and so on.

All these are English lyrics, but it doesn’t really matter to me. I can’t make heads or tails out of the Rammstein albums I have, but I like the songs regardless.
merc inc
merc inc

http://www.starpirates.net/profiles.php?id=57683

Back to top Go down

Musical laments Empty Blues

Post  Pagan Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:30 am

Zombie thread!

There might be a bit more radio selection, and some of the college transmitters actually have a bit of a punch.

What/who you said about the blues. Also Oli Brown has some good stuff, and Bonnie Raitt. An SRV bio suggested his influences included bluesmen Albert King and Otis Rush, not included in your list.

A little stretch relative to the other things you cite:
Some of the more energetic Los Lobos stuff might appeal. Or Blasters?

I'll try to remember to review West Coast Swing song lists for generally good music. We are fortunate to have an instructor/DJ who still uses Blues more than the contemporary mush. There's a de-selection effect for music with unusual rhythms or phrasing because it's harder to dance to it, but some good stuff still works.

My 80 rock tended towards more New Wave stuff. Not that ZZ Top don't rock, just didn't listen to it as much as a pansy urban Californian. Maybe Tom Petty? Bare Naked Ladies have some great tunes, but their albums can have a really odd mix of styles.
Pagan
Pagan
Admin

http://www.starpirates.net/profiles.php?id=58139

Back to top Go down

Musical laments Empty Re: Musical laments

Post  redbeard2011 Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:05 pm

Pagan wrote: Bare Naked Ladies have some great tunes

As eclectic as my musical tastes are, I have to disagree with that statement. The Barenaked Ladies have many highly popular, greatly annoying tunes, but no great ones.

redbeard2011

Back to top Go down

Musical laments Empty Re: Musical laments

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum