[FAM] & [GFA] the Familia fleets in SP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

20+ PSA: Some Thoughts about Officers

Go down

20+ PSA: Some Thoughts about Officers Empty 20+ PSA: Some Thoughts about Officers

Post  Bridgeburners Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:33 pm

Some thoughts about Officers

Officers take a percentage of your experience and battle and raid proceeds, but give you a significant statistical boost. Not all pirates use officers, but most do. The general consensus is that officers are worth the cost.

You may only have one Officer on your ship at any given time. You can only chose to have them join you at the time that you find them. Officers are finicky and can leave you at any time. However, your AI will keep a careful record of the ones that you have come across so that you can continue to train them the next time you meet with them.

Officers are only found when doing Salvage Forays. You can find an officer at any level of foray, but are more likely to find them at the higher point forays. When trying to find an officer, always use the highest point foray you can accomplish. If you find a officer, it will always be a random officer - certain officers are not more prevalent at on certain salvage forays.

You can fire officers at any time by paying three points. Firing officers is a rare occasion, but you may want to do so if you are about to raid somebody for a significant amount and you don't want the officer to take a cut of your proceeds.

Officers are hard to level, but if you complete Ascension you will get a bonus of 1,000,000 experience for each of your for officers. This means that even if you haven't used officers up to that point, you will have a set of level 32 officers.

The Lineup

Gunnery Technician

* Increase weapons by 1% per level
* Increase critical hit chance by 1% every two levels (max: 20%)
* Maximum critical damage increased by 33
* Increase enemy malfunction by 1% per level (max: 50%)

Historically, the Gunnery Technician was the strongest officer. The admins updated the officers about a year ago, and boosted the other officers to a level closer to even. However, the elite players had already boosted their officer, so they tended to stay with the Gunnery officer. Partly for this reason, the first page of the Officer Hall of Fame is dominated by Gunnery Officers.

The boost to enemy malfunction is the key to the Gunnery Technician. Enemy Malfunction is probably the strongest statistic in the game, and the Gunnery Officer is the most effective way to get enemy malfunction in the game.

The other three stats work together quite nicely with the boost to enemy malfunction.

The Gunnery Officer will likely always be the most popular officer in the game.

Shield Technician

* Increase shields by 3% per level
* Chance to resist a critical hit increased by 1% every two levels (max. 50%)
* Maximum critical damage reduction increased by 1 point per level
* Reduce malfunction chance of bombs you plant by 10%
* Increase shields against game-controlled opponents (i.e. not against other players) by 33% (stacks with other bonuses)

The Shield Technician is the defensive officer. Featuring a big boost to shields and a significant reduction to critical damage, Shield Technicians are helpful for Turtles.

The reduction in bomb malfunction chance doesn't tie in that nicely to the main stats, and is really not a significant bonus (for reasons that we will see later).

The increase in shields against NPCs is of debatable merit - some feel that higher shields mean that you run into a more dangerous opponent in the 'belt.

The Shield Technician is useful for Turtles, but is not, in my mind, a good officer.

Engineer

* Decrease chance of malfunction by 1% for every 2 levels
* Minimum damage range increased by 1 point every 5 levels
* Hull Points increased by 4 points a level

The Engineer is my favorite officer, and is a very solid turtle/juggy officer.

The key is that the decreased chance of malfunction allows me to run more Graviton Beam Arrays (GBA), while the increased minimum damage gives me nice boost during extended fights.

The hull boost is always good for a pirate who gets in a lot of extended fights.

Expert Technician

* Increase engines by 4% per level
* Maximum surprise damage increased by 2 points per level
* Reduce malfunction chance of bombs you plant by 1% for each 5 levels
* Increase damage of bombs you plant by 1
* Chance to discover bomb increased by 100%
* Hull Points increased by 5 points per level
* Odds of salvage foray success increased by 1% per level
* Increase weapons and shields against game-controlled opponents (i.e. not against other players) by 10% (stacks with other bonuses)

The Expert Technician is a bit of an odd officer. It gives you a grab-bag of bonuses, with the engines being the most obvious.

The key stat, however, is the fact that this officer increases the minimum damage of bombs. +1 minimum damage doesn't seem like much, but it makes a huge difference when you are using bombs. Without this +1 minimum damage, bombs tend to leave your target with a handful of hit points.

You may have noticed that, for example, Mr. Awesome has 69 Davy Jones medals. I believe that the majority of these were won when people tried to beat Mr. Awesome with bombs, but failed. With the +1 minimum damage, it's quite possible to kill somebody with small bombs - not very cost effective, but sometimes you just have to kill somebody.

As this key stat isn't improved by the level of the officer, I don't see a reason to level this officer. I just find it when I need to bomb somebody.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Bridgeburners

Bridgeburners

Back to top Go down